Choosing an Approach to Your Topic
You may find it easier to organize your material if you choose an approach to your topic. The approach is the way you plan to write about your topic. If you are writing a research paper or report for a class, the approach may be part of the instructions by your professor.
Here are some possible approaches you could use:
- Analyze various aspects of the subject, giving more than one perspective.
- Evaluate or criticize, making some sort of judgment.
- Compare and contrast components or theories, showing similarities and differences.
- Establish relationships among ideas, illustrating influences, their interdevelopment, etc.
- Argue for or against an issue, trying to persuade your readers to agree with you.