Services for Students with Disabilities
The CCC Library provides specialized assistance and equipment for users who have a physical or learning disability that limits independent use of the library. The library will coordinate with the college's Disabled Students Programs & Services (DSPS) office if additional accommodations are needed. Please consult with a library staff member for assistance.
Library staff members will assist you by:
- Facilitating use of the online catalog and computerized databases.
- Retrieving books from the stacks.
- Getting patron situated with equipment and demonstrating its use as needed.
- Extending reserves or loan periods or modifying other lending rules on an individual basis when possible.
- Assisting with photocopying from books and journals.
- Reading a word or call number, or providing written or oral directions to locating library materials
If the library is busy and the particular assistance you need will be lengthy, a library staff member may ask you to return at a less busy hour. Please call the Reference Desk 510-215-4897 ahead of time to make an appointment for the following services:
- Personal library tour
- Online catalog and databases instruction
- Internet research and/or instruction
- Explanation and instruction in sources of specialized information
- Research paper consultation and assistance
COLLECTIONS and DATABASES
All of the Library's computer workstations are on adjustable tables. These workstations provide access to the CCC Library's online catalog and full-text databases via the Internet.
The National Library Service for the Blind & Physically Handicapped loans Braille, cassette and talking books, magazines, and playback equipment through a network of cooperating libraries. Its web site contains links to collection catalogs, a list of libraries, and a wealth of information pertinent to its users. The California State Library is the loan center for northern California. To apply for services, contact:
Braille & Talking Book Library
California State Library
P.O. Box 942837
Sacramento, CA 94237-001
Hours: 9:30am - 4pm Monday - Friday
Phone: 916-654-0640 or 800-808-2555
Patrons with disabilities have priority use of all specialized equipment. Other patrons are asked to yield this equipment gracefully when it is needed.
In the Library's Main Room:
- All workstations are on adjustable-height tables
- An Aladdin print magnifier to enlarge items placed on the viewing tray.A switch enables white-on-black background or or black-on-white background.
- All computers have ZoomText software to magnify text. This software includes DocReader, an automatic voice reader that can read the complete computer document on-screen; users need to provide their own headphones or check them out from the Circulation Desk. See the ZoomText Tutorial for more directions on using its different features.
- One computer has JAWS screen reader software. Users can get training on how to use it from the DSPS Office.
- Laptop plug-in table in main room.
- Wireless internet access for use with own laptops or other devices
In the Media Lab:
- Stereo audiocassette players
- Compact disc players
- Four-track audiocassette player for use with recordings in RFBD format
- Televisions/VCRs with the ability to play closed captioned videotapes and DVD's
Additional equipment is available in the DSPS Office and High-Tech Lab.
Contact the Disabled Student Program & Services (DSPS) office in the Student Services Building, Room 109 for additional services available to CCC students with disabilities. 510-215-3969
Additional training may be available through the Center for Accessible Technology, a non-profit organization in Berkeley (2547 8th Street) that offers high tech aid to persons of all ages and ability levels. 510-841-3224
SEE ALSO the Disability Information site list linked to the CCC Site Guides page for additional resources (choose from drop-down menu).